Amid the illegal practices of trading and tampering of MRP in Roing Town, A meeting was held at DC Conference Hall to review the situation and take immediate measures to resolve the illegal rise of prices of commodity in the retail market. The meeting was chaired by Shri. Tapik Pertin ADC Lower Dibang Valley, Shri. J.K Lego Superintendent of Police Roing and representatives from Legal Metrology and Consumer Affairs, Tax and Excise Department, Food and Civil supply, Lower Dibang Valley District Students Union, Adi Student Union, All Idu Mishmi Students Union , Bazar representatives, Media person, AMYAA NGO and public individuals.
Shri RK Paul Secretary AMYAA NGO on behalf of community organization highlighted the objectives for the called meeting. He spoke on problem face by middle class families who are being fooled on daily basis by almost every shops of Roing by manipulating and tampering the MRP of goods. He also stated that these issues would bring negative impact to upcoming local entrepreneurs in days to come.
Shri. Tapik Pertin (ADC Roing) welcome and applauded AMYAA NGO and concerned community based organization for taking up the initiative and for calling upon the District Administration and concerned Departments to resolve the issue.
Shri JK Lego (Superintendent of Police Roing) would seek for early formation of a system comprising of team from district administration, concerned departments and community organization of Roing to check and maintained fair practice of trading by retailed shops in Roing.
Shri Debojit Linggi (ACLM Legal Metrology and Consumers Affair) stated “Charging above MRP is an offence for which the trader can be prosecuted and be punished with fine up to Rs 25,000 for the first offence. It can increase to Rs 50,000 for the second offence and subsequent offences can attract a fine of up to Rs 1 lakh or imprisonment for one year or both.” he stated that being a consumer we should be aware of our rights and one can contact his department if they encountered any illegal or charging of commodities above the maximum retailed prices.
The representatives of student union bodies spoke re-affirming the increasing trend of illegal trading in Roing and the urgent need to address the issue either through legal proceeding through district administration or raiding. They wish to resolve the illegal practice at the earliest for the best interest of the people of Roing.
Important topics brought into discussion:
• Ceased of Trading License and imposing Penalty if found violating and practicing illegal tampering of MRP (Consumers Protection Act 1986, Consumers Protection Act 2019)
• Regular Check of prices by concerned authorized department.
• Looking into Skyrocketing of prices of goods, taking COVID-19 Lockdown as an excused.
• Need for checked of manufacture and expiry date.
• Solution to solve illegal sale of pork meat and Broiler without proper trading license which is the main reason for the fluctuation of Pork and Chicken rate.
• Tobacco sold above MRP
• Chinese good and products.
• High rate of taxi fare.
• Need for special telephonic helpline number to report illegal trading in Roing.